Rough Sawn Wood

Old 04-27-07, 04:22 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rough Sawn Wood

Hello, I have a nice rough sawn ceiling that I would like to poly or stain to a extremely high gloss. I have 2 questions:

1) Someone recommended using high gloss clear shelac. What's the best thing to use???

2) Should I treat or clean it first???

Thanks Eric

Old 04-28-07, 04:18 AM
J
Just a comment, but rough sawn and high gloss don't usually go together. To answer the question, how dirty is it that you are asking about cleaning?? That would likely be a difficult thing to do not that it is installed. As to a finish, polyurethane is the most durable finish, and is easily applied with spray, brush or roller. Oil based will darken the wood somewhat, water based will not. Shellac is not a very tough finish, and hates moisture/water.

Old 04-28-07, 09:26 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
At best you can brush or vacuum rough lumber to remove dust. Stains and discoloration would be difficult to remove. Avoid water and waterbased cleaners on raw wood. A low-sheen, water-based polyurethane would seal wood and provide some protection. Cleaning will always be an issue due to the roughness of the surface, requiring a brush or vacuum.

Old 04-28-07, 09:33 AM
F
Thanks for the reply: I agree with the rough sawn and the high gloss, but, the wife is looking to lighten the room and thought it would reflect the light. Plus something needs to be done and this is as good as any.

What product would give the highest sheen??? Also, do I light sand between coats?? And how many coats to get max sheen?? Thanks Again Eric

Old 04-28-07, 09:42 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Check labels on water-based poly for sheen level if looking for high gloss. It will likely take about three coats. One to seal, one to coat, and one to finish. Rough lumber, however, will likely absorb a lot, so it may take more coats. While high-gloss reflects more light, it will also make surface imperfections and the roughness stand out. Semi-gloss will reflect about 25% less light, provide a shiny finish, and make surface imperfections less glaring. Satin finish is not shiny but adds a glow to the surface. Low-sheen has no reflective qualities.

Old 04-28-07, 09:45 AM
F
Hey Twelvepole, Thanks for the reply!!! Should I light sand between coats!! Thanks Eric

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: