How can I repair nicks, scratches, and a few scuffs on a Mahogany chest?

Old 05-02-07, 10:19 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can I repair nicks, scratches, and a few scuffs on a Mahogany chest?

I have a chest I built that is made from Phillipine Mahogany. It is around 12 years old, and was finished by using a type of walnut colored wood filler as a stain which was rubbed on and then immediatly wiped off, then Tung oil was applied for a finish (about 7 coats, roughly). It spent several years in a finished basement where it received a series of scratches, nicks, and a scuff of something white.

The scratches are not horribly deep, but enough that I notice them and that you can begin to see the bare wood beneath. I'm at a loss as to what to do to try and fix them. I have had reccomendations to sand them lightly and touch up the finish, apply more Tung oil, get one of the wood markers and use that, or to just ignore them. I did apply some orange oil wood polish to the scratches, which did hide them temporarily, but after a while they do show up again.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Unfortunatly, I don't remember what brand or type of stain that was used, other than it was walnut wood filler. I thought of just refinishing the entire chest, but I like the stain that I have on it and also do not have the space or tools to strip and refinish it right now. If I sand out the scratches, is that going to affect the areas that are not scratched and cause it to look mismatched?

Thank you to anyone that has a suggestion.

Old 05-03-07, 02:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
alexdailey
Virtually all the possibilities for repair have been presented to you. Wiping orange oil over the area is only a temporary solution that does nothing for the scratches or chips.

At this point you have to make a choice of fix it and accept the results...refinish the cabinet in as close of a color as you can get...or, leave it alone and live with it.

The only additional suggestion I can add is to get some Howard's Restor-a-finish in a comparable color. This will help to color the areas and re-amalgamate the existing finish, but will not elliminate all of the existing scratches.

Good luck,

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: