Tung Oil - Big Mistake?

Old 05-20-07, 09:03 PM
Cassie
Visiting Guest
Tung Oil - Big Mistake?

Hi,

I just used tung oil as a finish for an antique dresser I was given. When I was getting ready to do a sideboard, I wanted a reminder of the proper way to clean antiques. I ended up on the Henry Ford Museum website and they had a section on caring for wood. Here's what they said about tung oil:

"Many popular formulations contain tung oil or silicone products which have proven to age poorly. Products of this type should be avoided since they can actually darken or become opaque with age, resulting in a dark, dull and often irreparable finish."

Yikes! Should I go back and sand off the oil? I already put about 4 layers on and it's been on for about 4 weeks now. What should I have used instead?

-Cassie

Old 05-21-07, 03:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They are the experts, but I would not get out the stripper too quickly. I did what I consider the acid test for tungoil, I finished a black powder rifle, about 25 yrs ago. If you know anything about black powder, you know it is nasty, dirty, corrosive. And clean up is with soap/water. The rifle still looks georgeous.

Old 05-21-07, 03:44 PM
C
When using tung oil, using 100% pure tung oil will avoid many of the problems associated with it. Be sure to use a fresh product, too.

Old 05-22-07, 06:00 AM
An addendum:

Most 'tung oil' products say "Made with 100% pure tung oil". This indicates there are other additives.

The product you want says it IS 100% pure tung oil.

There's a substantial difference in price, but it's well worth it.

Old 05-30-07, 03:19 PM
Cassie
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. I think I'll just leave it as it is and see what happens. I thought I wasn't supposed to get pure tung oil because of how long it takes to dry. I get so confused...

Old 05-30-07, 05:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Easy to get confused, but you were given great advice here.

Old 05-31-07, 06:17 AM
Smile

Cassie:

I've been refinishing/repairing furniture for over 30 years. People sometimes ask what it takes to be a refinisher - mechanical skills, product knowledge, good eye for color, etc.

All these are important, but the PRIMARY requirement is patience...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: