Staining Teak Dark

Old 05-28-07, 05:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staining Teak Dark

I have a teak shelf that has been stripped and sanded and is ready for staining. I'd like to stain the piece fairly dark. I've tried Watco Danish Oil in dark walnut and a Minwax antique walnut stain. Both products didn't seem to make the wood much darker. I'd really like to bring a new life to this old furniture. Any suggestions?

Old 05-28-07, 07:03 PM
B
if you want to make the stain take darker you can always bust the grain with 50/50 denatured alcohol and water. It may look fuzzy but it will make it take dark.

Old 05-31-07, 09:00 PM
S
I'm not sure if I want that direction, and make the piece fuzzy. If I choose to finish the piece, as is, is Danish oil the best option? After the piece is oiled, can I apply a polyurethan finish coat? I'd like to use a product that is a available in a matte sheen. Any product recommendations? (It doesn't appear that minwax has any such product.)

Or, is painting an option? And if so, does it need to be an oil based paint?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-07, 07:18 PM
S
bclacquer-

I went ahead and busted the grain with 50/50 water & denatured alcohol. I let it dry overnight and applied danish oil (dark walnut). It worked great...and it doesn't even look fuzzy. Thanks for the advice! Wish I would have tried it earlier instead of pondering these other options.

Old 06-24-07, 07:28 AM
B
you're welcome. I am glad it doesn't look fuzzy, it it hard to tell if that will happen because it depends on the wood and the stain. Keep in mind, this trick on maple or birch may cause excessive blotching due to the pores of the wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: