staining pecan

Old 06-01-07, 07:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
staining pecan

I am trying to stain a piece of pecan (hickory) with minwax dark walnut. I cannot get it to be dark enough. I prepped by sanding with 120 grit, to leave the pores open enough. This must be a very dense, close pored wood. Any ideas on how to get the wood to accept the stain so I can get it dark enough?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-07, 08:41 AM
I would suggest going to a good paint store (not one of the box stores), explain your project to them and ask about the possibility of glazing the piece to achieve the color you want.

A solid color exterior stain is also a possibility, although this usually winds up looking like paint.

If at all possible, take a piece of the wood with you.

Old 06-03-07, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the reply George

Since I posted my question, I did some more research, and found out about "water popping". This is simply putting hot water on the wood to open up the pores. It worked great. After the pecan dried, it took the stain beautifully and deeply. Maybe you and the 28 other people who looked at my post (and had no suggestions) should learn about this technique.

Old 06-04-07, 05:27 AM
busting the grain with water works fine, although I usually recommend a 50/50 mix water with denatured alcohol because the alcohol speeds the evaporation of the water. There are some potential problems with this technique. If you do this on maple, birch or pine you are likely to get some major blotching of the stain. also because you used water, your grain can look fuzzy from opening all of those pores. you can also run into some adhesion problems with your topcoat if you do not let the wood dry long enough after the water application. Even with the alcohol I recommend overnight drying.

Old 06-04-07, 10:14 AM
Thanks bclacquer

When I found out about the water popping, one aticle did suggest using the denatured alcohol. So I took two pieces of scrape pecan, sanded them with 120 grit, and put the alcohol on one, and hot water on the other. After drying overnight, I then applied the stain. The one using the water took the stain much better than the one with the denatured alcohol. I think using the 50/50 mix may reduce the absorption ability. The important thing is to give it plenty of time to dry before applying the stain.