stained teak desk

Old 06-18-07, 09:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stained teak desk

I have a teak desk that I don't believe has a finish on it. It has developed several stains. I think one of them might be from water, that dripped from a plant, but I'm not sure. The other I know is is from a corroded alkaline battery that was in a flashlight that leaked onto the desk. I tried rubbing it with steal wool and some Murphy's oil soap. Then I tried a product that was labeled teak reviver and I think, from the odor, contains chlorine bleach. I think it took some of the mystery stain out, but most of it seems to be still there. I put teak oil on to see what the final product would look like. The label on the oil says wait two hours before rubbing excess off. The desk seems to still have stains. The area around the battery stain is dark and the mystery stain it dark also. Do you have any ideas to save the desk?

Old 06-26-07, 09:33 PM
M
For most stains, a mixture of dishwashing detergent will help remove it. I've also heard that mayonaise can help remove a stain.

For the battery acid stain, I would recommend that you first neutralize the acid, otherwise, you will likely have a chemical burn into the wood which only vigorous sanding may remove. I forget which is the neutralizing agent for alkaline batteries, but you should be able to look that up somewhere. :^)

If it is solid teak, I recommend sanding afterward since you're unlikely to completely remove the stains anyway. Start with 180. If that doesn't work, try 150, then 100 until you get the stains out. Then progress back out until you finish with a 220 or so grit for the final sand. If you're desparate to get the stains out, you can sand across the grain to be more aggressive (but of course, sand with the grain to correct the surface afterward).

Old 07-09-07, 10:27 AM
T
Red face still stained teak desk

I have heard the mayo idea, but isn't that (and maybe the detergent) for a piece of furniture that is finished? This desk is solid teak and not finished, just oiled.

I have tried sanding, but it doesn't seem to help. Unless I just haven't done it long enough.

I tried looking up neutralizing corroded batteries and I came up with using vinegar for alkaline batteries, but that was when they leaked into your electronic equipment. Do you (or does anybody) know it it's o.k. to use vinegar on a teak desk?

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-19-07, 10:11 AM
T
Unhappy still stained teak desk

Just to bring this back near the top, does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks for any input!

Old 07-19-07, 11:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,286 Upvotes on 1,224 Posts
Without first removing the stain, finishing is not going to make it disappear. I believe the bleach is going to be your best option. It might take several applications and the stains may never completely disappear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: