New Maple Veneer Cabinets - Oil only?

Old 07-05-07, 12:43 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Maple Veneer Cabinets - Oil only?

We are just installing new maple veneer cabinet doors and I have a question on finishing them.

I am aware of the process of finishing new maple veneer kitchen cabinets with stain, then coats of urethane with sandings in between. We did our solid oak cabinets this way a few years ago but it was an incredibly laborious and time consuming project.

I have heard it's possible to finish wood veneer cabinets with just several coats of (oil? tinted stain? wax?) and no urethane. This would be my preferred method since it sounds like a great deal less work and the veneer can be easily re-oiled every few years to maintain them, or re-oiled any time to repair slight damage.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-07, 04:03 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you will sacrifice durability by using those products. And if you wax the cabinets, you will not likely to be able to change your mind later and put something better on them. the reason people put lacquers, varnishes, or urethanes on their cabinets is so that they do not have to do it every 6-12 months and can expect to have durability that will last for quite a number of years (depending on products)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: