Painting Kitchen Cabinets Or...

Old 07-29-07, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Kitchen Cabinets Or...

We have the nicest kitchen cabinets I've ever owned. Except... the previous owner got a bright idea to paint parts of the doors black. But, only on 1/4 of the doors. We tried stripping it off, and it kinda worked. There is still black in the grain and they obviously aren't as nice as the virgin panels. They are 13 years old, so even a replacement door isn't going to look the same. One option would be to paint them all. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-07, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by rayh059 View Post
We have the nicest kitchen cabinets I've ever owned. Except... the previous owner got a bright idea to paint parts of the doors black. But, only on 1/4 of the doors. We tried stripping it off, and it kinda worked. There is still black in the grain and they obviously aren't as nice as the virgin panels. They are 13 years old, so even a replacement door isn't going to look the same. One option would be to paint them all. Any ideas?
Do you mean that four out of sixteen doors were painted, or that 1/4 of each door?

Did you try sanding?

Old 07-30-07, 03:52 AM
1/4 of the doors. Some are painted others are not.

They appeared to use a good gloss black enamel, it is very tough. I believe the cabinets are maple and have a white stain. The natural lighting in the kitchen is poor, so they need to be a light/bright color. Sanding would work, but there is a grain that might be buffed out if the doors where sanded. I suppose I could try stripping then sanding. Its going to be difficult matching the original finish either way.

Old 07-30-07, 05:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
"the cabinets are maple and have a white stain" - do they have a pickle stain?

Sanding is always [or should be] a part of the stripping process. i doubt it would noticably close the grain. IMO maple is too nice [and expensive] to paint.

Old 07-30-07, 07:18 AM
More of an opaque stain, a little more pigment than a light pickle.

We may end up replacing the affected doors, but like I said, they won't be the exact same. We like the layout and they are quality cabinets. If we can't replace them, then a white paint for the whole lot may have to do. It would look good, but I'd like to avoid it.

Old 07-31-07, 06:58 PM
If they are old cabinets

If they are old cabinets [more than ?fifty years old], you may not be able to replace them unless you get door custom made by a cabinet maker. Stock and semi-custom cabinets generally are not made of wood of the quality of older cabinets.

Oh, they're only 13 years old; you probably could get new doors.

Have you considered staining them a different [constrasting or complementary] color after you strip and sand them?

Maple has a subtle grain, not like oak. And a good stain usually accentuates the grain.