Marking Cabinet Doors Before Painting

Old 07-29-07, 07:47 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marking Cabinet Doors Before Painting

Does anybody have a good suggestion for marking a kitchen cabinet door before painting it to identify its position? I'm going to be painting about 16 solid wood doors and I'm trying to figure out how to identify them. So far, my best idea is to tap a small brad into the inside edge and attach a tag with wire.

Any better ideas?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-07, 04:42 AM
A penciled number in the area that will be covered by the hinge(s) should work.

Old 07-30-07, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
I mark them like George does except I prefer to use an ink pen or magic marker - if it gets covered with paint the number will bleed thru

Old 07-30-07, 06:50 PM
W
Thanks. Marking them with a Sharpie might work. Pencil probably won't show because the doors are stained dark.

Old 07-31-07, 05:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Be sure to use all the proper prep when painting your cabinets. Here's a sticky with good info:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=292098

Old 07-31-07, 05:27 PM
W
Thanks again. I had read that sticky but it never hurts to read it again.

If you don't mind, I have one more question. I had originally planned to use a high gloss latex enamel but have been rethinking that in favor of a solvent-based paint like Rustoleum. If I go with Rustoleum or something similar in high-gloss white, I had considered using an aerosol spray on the doors and a brushed coat on the casework. If I did that, would I notice a difference in color?

Old 08-01-07, 06:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Rustoleum like most any oil base enamel should wear well. Spray cans have a very small amount of paint in them and it's a lot thinner than what you buy in a quart/gallon. It would be difficult to get the same film build up with an aresol can that you would with a brush = it may appear different. Using a quality brush and sanding between coats should get you a nice looking job.

Any oil base white enamel will yellow over time - some worse/quicker than others. Latex enamel won't yellow but doesn't dry as hard. I highly recomend using a waterborne enamel. IMO SWP's proclassic waterborne is the best enamel I've ever used [B.Moore is supposed to be just as good] Waterborne enamel dries almost as hard as oil base but like latex it doesn't yellow and dries quickly.

Old 08-03-07, 05:42 PM
W
Glad I asked.

Thanks very much for all the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: