Cabinet Advice

Old 07-31-07, 05:17 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cabinet Advice

I am in the process of painting my kitchen cabinets using the method outlined in the sticky at the top of this forum. I'm doing a section at a time. So far, with one exception, the results have been very nice. To make a long story short I messed up big time and I have 4 very messy looking doors that need to be redone somehow. That's my question. What is the best way to start over. The doors have on them the original finish, the shellac based primer, than about 5 coats of SW Pro Classic waterbourn Enamel. I would like to get it down to the BIN primer and then just put my 2 coats of enamel like I have elsewhere in the kitchen. Would it be easier to use a paint stripper of some sort or is it better to sand? What would be a good, non toxic paint stripper? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-07, 06:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
Why did you apply 5 coats of enamel?

ProClassic waterborne sands well! That is the way I'd go unless you have some details that have been covered up by too much paint. I doubt you could use a stripper to just remove the enamel. You always need to sand after using any stripper.

Old 07-31-07, 07:41 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr
Why did you apply 5 coats of enamel?
Well if you must know I was trying to please the better half. :-) We are trying to match some new cabinets and these are located the closest to them. After I got the doors back on the wife noticed that they had a slightly different sheen then the new cabinets. It wasn't real obvious on the ones I had already completed due to the proximity. I figured that this Proclassic went on so well that I would just by a gallon of semi-gloss and top coat it. I had been using Satin. One coat of semi-gloss looked terrible so I figured it needed another one. So now I have 4 coats on and it looks even worse. Laying in bed thinking how am I going to fix this I thought that maybe it's the semigloss showing every little mark. If I sand down the sheen a little and put a coat of the satin on, maybe that will work. So I sanded the gloss and put another coat of satin on. While it does look better, it doesn't come close to the cabinets I have with just the 2 coats. It is all uneven and blotchy. I thought if I started over with no coats, I could duplicate my success on the other cabinets. I guess I'll try sanding. I thought using some type of stripper would be faster.

Old 07-31-07, 12:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
You are using good paint, are you using good tools to apply it with?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: