directions for painting cabinets

Old 07-31-07, 09:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
directions for painting cabinets

I have beautiful cabinets with a nice simple mold on them. They need a coat of paint. Are there any specific instructions on how to paint them? What type of brushes to use? how to paint them without it looking like a washed out paint job, as so many paint jobs do? What is the best way to strip them? I would also like to replace the door hinges as well. Any word on how to do that, and what tools are needed. Sorry guys, I am completely clueless on this stuff, but I will get it done!

Old 08-01-07, 06:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
What type of finish is on the cabinets now? Do you just want to paint them or go all out and strip and refinish them?

A key ingrediant to any good paint job is to use quality coatings. Typically you won't find great coatings at a big box store - they mainly try to deliver the lowest price. You will find the best coating [and advice] at your local paint store. Both prep and the proper brush also play a big part in producing a quality paint job.

Changing out handles and hinges is a fairly easy task. If I'm not mistaken there are 3 different types of cabinet hinges. They mount and work differently so you need to make sure you have the same kind. They usually can be removed with a phillips screwdriver. Take 1 with you to the store so you can be assured the replacements will work without making alterations to the doors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: