Want to polyurethane dining room table

Old 08-20-07, 08:42 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to polyurethane dining room table

I have an existing dining room table that does not have a waterproof finish. I want to put some kind of polyurethane protection on it. One thing I am concerned about is that there are 1/16" grooves to make it look like planks. What product can I use to fill these in and make the table surface smooth so that food and crumbs will not settle in the grooves anymore? I have never done anything like this before so if polyurethane is not the product to use, please tell me. I don't want to ruin my tabletop but am tired of having to use Pledge each time I use the table. Two grandsons make a sticky table. I want to be able to just use a wet cloth.

Thanks for your advice.

Moiramyone

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-07, 02:47 PM
Moiramyone,
You can put polyurethane over virtually any finish. It sounds as though you table has a lacquer finish. BUT, there are a lot of things to consider before recoating your table and from what you're saying, there are special circumstances (i.e. grooves to fill)

I realize it is more costly, but it is really best, in this instance, to contact a restorationist who knows how to work with different finishes and can give you a durable finish that is professionally done. If you just put on the urethane finish, I assure you, there will be all kinds of problems that can only be fixed by stripping the table and starting over.

My best to you,
CD

Old 08-22-07, 10:26 AM
M
Thanks so much for your info. I needed to know the pros and cons before I did anything.

Moiramyolne

Old 08-22-07, 06:21 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That's a job I tackled, fumbled, and punted on. If the weather is humid, the poly will "blush". Too dry and it won't flow out, leaving brush marks. After two strips and attempts, I ended up taking it to a furniture re finisher. It now looks as good as new.