1960's oak drafting table

Old 08-29-07, 07:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1960's oak drafting table

Hi, I've been trying to refinish a badly damaged, dark stained giant drafting table. It smelled moldy after sitting in my parents basement for the last 20 years (or more), so I started with some bleach washes which didn't do a whole lot of good. And I decided to strip the varnish and used Formby's Refinisher(at the time I wasn't sure if it was just varnished or stained and varnished), which helped a little to remove some varnish and stain, but my husband and I really wanted to lighten it up. Well, my husband decided to speed things up a bit and used a refinishing drill bit (a very course and hard pad) and it worked, but after I applied a layer of Tung oil I realized the job was only half done, and now the whole table is uneven, and spotty. Honestly, it looks like leopard print on wood, it's not a good look.

To make matters worse it looks as if half the table top was stained with a different, lighter color than the rest of the table. I have since found out that my father, after recieving the table from a local school, did several coats of alternating stain and varnish. So the lighter honey color is the original stain from it's school days, and the dark brown is from my fathers attempts and fixing some scratches.

Should I try to strip the Tung oil and keep working on evening out the tone? or could I attempt to match patch the spotty color by staining over the tung oil?

Old 08-30-07, 03:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
From the sounds of things, you have a real mess there. IMHO, I would start over and strip the whole thing down. Doing it is pieces with make it look like it was done in pieces. Then you could finish it as you like without stripes and strips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: