Painting versus Natural Wood

Old 09-08-07, 04:50 PM
Rae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting versus Natural Wood

Hello, I am interested in the resale pros and cons of painting my kitchen cabinets. All of the home's doors, windows and trim are wood and do not plan on doing anything with these. But would like to paint the kitchen cabinets. Pics can be seen in my Photobucket account:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/arcticina/24KitchenCabinets.PaintorNoPaint.jpg (everyone adds this url but the link does not go there?? Also, I have texted up these photos for future reference questions.)

Go to: Photobucket.com
username: arcticina
guest password: arcticina (same as username)

I do not plan on moving anytime soon but do not want to ruin or diluted the resale value of my home by painting the cabinets. By painting the kitchen cabinets, would it take away from the other parts of the home or is the room separation enough. The flow of the kitchen can be seen from the dining and great room areas. I hope you understand what I am asking. Thank you.

Old 09-10-07, 06:38 AM
Tastes and 'sellability' vary from area to area.

I'd consult a real estate agent in your area to find out what is preferred.

Old 09-10-07, 03:22 PM
J
What George said. But some like painted some don't. Often, freshly painted cabinets may throw up a red flag, as in, whats wrong with the cabinets.

Old 09-10-07, 09:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
I hate to see good wood covered with paint. I'm less likely to buy your house if you paint them.

Old 09-10-07, 09:48 PM
Rae
Thank you all for responding. Yes, you are right. My home has tons of natural wood in it and by painting the kitchen cabinets, and including the large kit. ceiling light frame above to keep the flow and flavor, it may not keep continuity with other parts of the house that can be seen. I have been in this house a long time and was wanting something different. I think I will go paint the fence and I will be just fine...

The cabinets never had hardware pulls and I did not want to add any as more surface to keep clean(have you seen me make spaghetti? Oh, Lord!). Would any of you add hardware handles or pulls? Thank You for your good information! Yea! Rae!

Old 09-11-07, 04:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
I've heard that pulls and handles indicate higher quality. I don't have them and do not plan to add them because I like the clean look without handles better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: