kitchen cabinet refinish

Old 09-10-07, 08:41 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question kitchen cabinet refinish

My cabinets are showing signs of wear and tear and I want to redo them. They are stained a golden oak, and I would like to have them more of a red oak. A friend told me that it wasn't necessary to sand them all down and re stain them as some of the polyurethanes came with stain already in it. She said all I would have to do is wipe them down real good to get any grease and grim off and then just re-poly them with the polyurethane that had the red oak stain in it and I should get the color I want. I don't want to make a mess, so would appreciate any help on this that I can get. Has anyone tried anything like this, and if so how did it work? It sounds like it would work, but I have had so many DIY disasters in the past I'm a little gunshy when it comes to something I have never done before.

Old 09-10-07, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Your friend is almost right - you should also sand the cabinets lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to promote good adhesion

Minwax polyshades is the most readily availble tinted poly. Tinted polys do a good job of changing the tone/color of finished woodwork. They work best when you are trying to darken the finish. They can be problematic to apply. Because it is a tinted clear coating heavy areas [runs,lap marks,etc] will have more color, thin areas will be lighter. It isn't a product than can be touched up very well. It must be applied evenly!

I'm not trying to scare you away from using a tinted poly, just that it is very important to apply it correctly/carefully. Using a tinted poly is a LOT less work than stripping the wood and refinishing. I prefer to spray it, but it can be brushed. Plan your work wisely to avoid lap marks, runs and such. If 1 coat doesn't change the color enough you can apply a 2nd coat [sand lightly between coats] It is always a good idea to finish with a regular clear [untinted] coat of poly - this will prevent any unsightly color changes if some of the tinted poly gets worn away.

You will want to remove the drawers/doors and all hardware for easier application. Mark the doors location behind the hinge so you will know exactly where they go.

Old 09-10-07, 03:17 PM
J
What mark said about Polyshades, and the color tends to pool in corners and along inside edges. But for the record, your cabinets are probably red oak. It changes to the yellow color when finished.

Old 09-11-07, 05:58 AM
G
Thumbs up poly on cabinets

Follow tips from others here!! I applied the poly stain on my oak cabinets with a good quality brush. Went to a little darker shade. I put on 2 stained coats and followed with a clear coat last. Real pleased with the results!! They looked new again !! FIRST do your light sand then you should buy a spray cleaner at Walmart call "Krud Kutter". It will take ALL the grease and anything else that needs to come off of your cabinets before application. You can't just slop it on and think it will look good. Take your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: