Advice on Strip, Stain, Finish Combo wood & veneer desk

Old 09-17-07, 08:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on Strip, Stain, Finish Combo wood & veneer desk

I have a desk with solid wood top & drawer fronts; veneer (over particle board) sides. It is a light color stain/ veneer (teakish). The drawer fronts have some from of sheen, as does the veneer, though the top less so. The top has 2 water stains from coffee mugs.

I plan to strip all parts, stain them a darker color (deep-cherry) and possibly apply polyurethene coat.

I have designed, built, prepared and stained solid wood , but never done stripping or veneer work - so my concerns lie with my newness to the stripping process, concern over damaging the veneer, and the difference in working with veneer and solid wood. Useful tips welcome. Specific questions below.

the questions:

1) Can I use the same stripper on the solid wood as the veneer? Recommended brands (home depot)? Do I need to worry that the stripper will loosen the veneer's glue and if so, how long (generally) should I allow the stripper to sit on the veneer?
2) Do I need to use a brush of any kind to strip in the veneer's grooves?
3) Is there any special prep work prior to staining veneer vs. the solid wood top?
4) Any recommendations on how to remove the water stains or perhaps "wash them out" so that the top appears uniform once the stain is applied (or will the dark staining fix that)?

Thanks from a neophyte woodsman

Old 09-17-07, 02:34 PM
C
1. All the same, follow the manufacturer's directions.
2. There are small plastic stripping brushes that help with the small grooves.
3. No
4. The stripper will take care of the watermarks.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-07, 06:56 AM
My 2 worth:

1- Same stripper all over - as to brands, don't expect quality reults from the sheapest thing on the shelf. It is possible (but highly unlikely) that the stripper will loosen the veneer. This can be reglued using a dry iron on medium heat - after the piece is completely clean and dry, of course.

2- No. You will probably want to use 000 steel wool as a final pad in cleaning the stripper. I use it along with lacquer thinner to remove the final bits of debris and neutralize the stripper itself.

3- No - but the veneer may not absorb stain as readily and therefore turn out lighter.

4- If the watermarks are white, this indicates they are in the finish itself. Stripping alone will remove these. If the marks are dark, the water has penetrated into the wood. After stripping, the top will have to be bleached (oxalic acid).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: