white spot on Mahogany table

Old 10-11-07, 01:51 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry white spot on Mahogany table

I have an antique Mahogany table where someone put a hot plate of food on it which resulted in a white spot. the grain shows thru the stain, but the stain shows thru the wood grain. I have tried wood cleaner, and Murphy's wood cleaner. any suggestions of how to remove this white stain?

Old 10-11-07, 03:35 PM
J
If it is old, it is likely shellac, which is subject to lots of problems from moisture, heat, alcohol, etc. If nothing seems to fix the problem, denatured alcohol likely will, but it takes a deft hand to get the desired results. Alcohol is a solvent for shellac, it will dissolve the surface. But it does not alter the characteristics of the finish. Done properly, you will never know there was a spot there. Done poorly(don't rub too hard), you will likely notice wavey marks on the spot. Try a hidden spot first if you attempt this yourself, and maybe pick up a book on wood finishes.

Old 10-12-07, 08:50 AM
Here's a solution I've used in my shop many times:

Use 0000 steel wool with about a tablespoon of cooking oil(anything you use to cook with - wesson, canola, etc.) and lightly rub the spot (in the direction of the grain) until it disappears.

Use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover, available from most sutomotive stores) to remove the steel wool abrasions.

You'll likely have to go over the entire table top to even out the sheen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: