Where to start

Old 10-18-07, 01:26 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to start

Help! I'm new to 'doing it yourself'.

I recently purchased a home built in 1981. All baseboards, doors and windows are dark 70's/80's style wood. I know I do not want to tackle painting them, but my question is....can I restain or refresh them without sanding them down and doing the whole stripping and refinishing thing?

The windows look better than baseboards and doors. They all look dry. Does that make sense? Like they need oil or stain or something. (Can't you tell I'm a total novice).

Plus I'd really, really like to 'refresh' without removing all baseboards, doors, etc. Is this possible? This is a big house and this dark wood is in every room!

Help and Thanks....

Old 10-18-07, 03:03 PM
J
If they have been stained then finished with poly or varnish, etc., it is unlikely that restaining will do anything. But clean everything with TSP(trisodiumphosphate), available at home/hardware stores, and it should be ready for a finish update, like polyurethane. Sanding previously stained trim is not recommended, you may sand the stain out of ridges and not on low spots.

Old 10-19-07, 10:07 AM
A
Thanks Bill for your suggestions. I will try cleaning them first and see what happens. I know they really need to be refinished, but don't want to take that on if I might replace them (baseboards) or paint them instead.

Old 10-19-07, 12:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
They probabaly just need cleaning and a fresh coat of poly/varnish. Any areas that have had the stain worn away will need new stain - usually it is better to use a stain 1 shade lighter than the original - because of the way the wood has worn it will soak up more stain than when it was new. Using the original stain will probably be too dark.

Often using a tinted poly [like minwax polyshades] that is close to the current stain color will take care of minor worn spots. This may change the wood color darker than you want so test first - maybe in a closet

Be sure to rinse whatever cleaner you use well!! Fresh paint/poly doesn't always bond well over cleaner residue.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: