Refinishing Pine table problems

Old 10-24-07, 07:38 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Pine table problems

I have this dining room table. 13 yrs old been telling myself for a couple yrs now I've needed to refinish it due to wear and tear of 3 children and that table. We have learned not to do homework on the table without a book or folder under the paper your writing on because Pine is a soft wood and leaves indents of past homework assignments.

Anyways I finally got up the energy to do it and have a sander I got a couple yrs ago. The finish on it was a seemed to be a simple poly coat. Over the years the finish had darkened I suppose from sunlight. Started with a course grade paper and then finished off sanding with a fine grade and tack cloth. I purchased Minwax Polyshades hoping the 2-1 stain/Poly would save me a step. I put on one coat and then let it dry for 24 hrs and then lightly sanded, used tack cloth again and then proceeded with 2nd coat. I didn't want it to go too dark as I also have a hutch and don't want the table to land up darker. Let 2nd coat that I applied yesterday dry and went to look at it this morning and its fully dryed but unfortunately something weird has happened. There are this little round light spots and with closer look are also intentations in the finish.

Looks like I'm going to have to start over again with the sanding but what could have happened to cause this and what can I do other than I plan to buy 2 seperate stain and poly applications to do seperately.

-Karen

Old 10-24-07, 09:27 AM
R
You say the spots are "light". Lighter in color than the surrounding stain? I'm thinking there were bubbles in the last application. Bubbles would leave small pock marks, but not change the color. In anycase, something contaminated the last coat. I suggest you let it dry thoroughly (maybe a couple of days), sand lightly (or enough to smooth out the spots). As long as the color and shade are where you want them, you can just use straight poly for the final coat.

Old 10-24-07, 11:44 AM
K
Yes, lighter than the surrounding stain. I tryed to lightly sand the surrounding area to blend it but landed but making it worse and have decided to sand all the way back and start over. Called my dad and he mentioned it could be a humidity issue. We've had rain the last 2 days and I'm doing the work in the garage. Have you ever heard of humidity doing this type of thing?

Old 10-24-07, 11:52 AM
C
I agree that this sounds to be some sort of contamination. After sanding back to the wood, wash the surface with mineral spirits to remove any grease or grime. Mineral spirits won't leave a residue, when it evaporates. It might be well to check your equipment to ensure that nothing is inadvertently contaminating it, such as: laying the brush on a worktable or using contaminated sandpaper. High humidity commonly delays proper drying of "oil-based" polyurethanes, but not so much the water-based ones.

Old 10-24-07, 05:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Best to finish with a couple coats of clear poly over the tinted so the color doesn't change with a little wear in the surface.

Old 10-25-07, 02:15 PM
R
Bear in mind that if you sand all the way back, you won't be able to remove 100% of the stain. Especially with pine, stain pentrates at different rates depending on the grain.

As long as you're removing the entire finish, I'd suggest a seperate stain and top coat (IMHO). That way, you can build up the stain color with multiple coats. After drying for a day (or longer if it's humid), a top coat or 2 of poly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: