Thermofoil kitchen cabinets

Old 11-03-07, 02:10 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Thermofoil kitchen cabinets

My cream colored thermofoil kitchen cabinets need some sprucing-up...
I've already changed the knobs, I'd like to add some sort of glazing to make the door insert area darker (like a brown glaze on cream)

IS THERE ANY WAY THAT THERMOFOIL CABINETS CAN BE PAINTED OR GLAZED. TOO DATE NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO GIVE ME AN ANSWER. THANKS

Old 11-04-07, 06:17 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thermofoil cabinet doors are typically vinyl that has been heat pressed over MDF or other material. Doors come full or standard overlay. Face frames and sides of cabinets are lacquer or paint. Full overlay doors tend to hide the yellowing, aging of the lacquer on the face frames. Thermofoil will eventually lose original brightness and whiteness. Most tend not to report painting, chipping, and peeling of paint on thermofoil. Some say that if you use a primer for vinyl that paint will adhere. Cleaning and surface prep per the primer manufacturer's instructions is crucial to a successful job.

Old 11-14-07, 08:22 PM
M
Refinishing Thermofoil cabs

I had recently come across a job that was performed by a sub (not mine) of refinishing of thermofoil cabs. I learned from the homeowner (and saw the materials in the basement) that the painter had glazed over the white thermofoil cabs with a oil-based gel stain. After the stain dried, he went over the cabs with a water-based poly - presumably so as not to disturb the glazing. I've seen LOTS of cabinet refinishing jobs and I have got to say that this was the best I've ever seen - by far. It was simple, straightforward and the refinished cabs looked better than a $100k kitchen I just got done installing on another job. It was a cheap and very easy fix. To make the job flawless, I learned hte painter had removed the doors before finishing to mimimize any drips. I highly recommend this method.

Old 11-15-07, 04:22 AM
B
you may be able to to find an industrial type primer that will stick to the thermofoil. I fear the method described above with the gel stain because there is no profile for the gel stain or poly to stick to. I am thinking maybe Z190 from P&L or maybe UMA or 400 White from XIM.

Old 09-27-08, 12:02 PM
C
Glazing Thermofoil Cabinets

Dear Mrfixit, on glazing the thermofoil cabinets, did the painter completely cover the cabinets with the gel stain--to simulate a wood finish? Or was it more of an antiquing technique? I have white thermofoil cabinets and I would just like to antique them a little vs. prime and paint which will ultimately chip! This sounds like it would last much longer. Thanks!

Old 09-27-08, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
crafty...don't think mrfixit will be replying. He did one post last year.....but maybe someone else can help.

Old 09-28-08, 06:26 PM
C
Glazing Thermofoil Cabinets

So today, I tried glazing my white thermofoil cabinets. I used a dry brush technique, and it came out great! Then I wiped it all off....because before I proceed, I need to know if I can just dry brush on the glaze, let it dry, then put a few coats of non-yellowing, water-based polyurethane over top to protect the glaze--without disturbing it. Or, do I need to first use prime etch, followed by the glaze, then the polyurethane. My concern is that the polyurethane will smear the glaze...can anyone advise on this?

thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: