Buffet Refinish

Old 11-09-07, 07:48 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Buffet Refinish

I have an old buffet that I want to refinish. I know I need to strip it but it has dark patterns on the doors I do not want to ruin, Any suggestions. Kerry

Old 11-09-07, 12:18 PM
If the patterns are cut into the doors don't worry. When you restain the piece the stain will take more heavily in the cut portion than the flat and the pattern will be intact. If the patterns are painted on or a decoupage you don't have much choice but to 'refresh' the existing finish - not strip.

Old 11-10-07, 02:21 PM
Removing the finish on the buffet is more messy that difficult.
There are a variety of removers available at your local home supply store.
I suggest using a semi-paste remover, rinsing with denatured alcohol and a very light sanding with 220 grit paper.
Start with applying the semi-paste remover with an inexpensive natural bristle brush. Apply to an entire area at a time ( i.e. side, top etc.) Allow this coat to sit about 5 minutes when removing finish or 15 minutes when removing paint. Apply an additional coat over the first coat of remover. I suggest not to scrap off the first coat of remover. after the second coat has sat for another 5 or 10 minutes, test the finish with a putty knife. If the finish had dissolved all the way to the wood, the remove the "gook" using a wide putty knife. Proceed immediately afterwards with washing the piece down with a fiber pad and denatured alcohol. The alcohol further dissolves and rinses the old finish from the wood. Wipe thoroughly with rags to remove all traces of wetness. Should any stubborn areas remain, coat the areas with additional remove and rinse as before.

This method tends to remove the paint and not the color in the wood. It causes very little grain raise so only a light sanding will be needed. Will it lighten the wood....;yes, because the finish has darkened with age and removing the finish brings the piece back to the original colors.

I hope this helps!!
CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: