Heat Damage to Cherry wood table

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-07, 09:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Heat Damage to Cherry wood table

Hi

My wife ironed her clothes on our cherry wood dining table. This has caused a whitening on the surface of the table where she was ironing. I want to know how to fix the situation. Do I have to refinish the top and if so then how do i do it. Are their easier solutions to the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 03:43 AM
J
My quess would be it is only the surface finish that is the problem. You will most likely have to refinish the whole top, but first: try alcohol(dissolves shellac type finishes), lacquer thinner(disolves lacquers), paint thinner(???), not all at once, on a small spot and see what they do. One may soften the finish enough to carefully make repairs. Another possibility, is to lightly sand the top and apply a new coat of polyurethane.

Old 12-04-07, 06:55 AM
Bill's suggestion will work, but dealing with solvents can be tricky at best.

A less invasive solution would be to use 0000 steel wool and a light oil (any cooking oil in the house will work) and gently abraid the affected area with the grain of the wood. Just a couple of tablespoons of oil at a time. Wipe dry frequently and check progress.

Once the whitish discoloration has been removed, you can use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and scratch remover (found in automotive supply stores) to remove the abrasion marks from the steel wool.

You'll have to use the polish over the entire top to even out the sheen.

Old 12-04-07, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the forums!

After a customer called me to refinish a table top that was discolored from putting super hot potatoes on paper plates on top of his new dining room table, I buffed it out with a fine cloth and silver polish.

I have used the Turtle wax before with good results, but I find the silver polish works better. I didn't even have to use an abrasive first before buffing.

As George stated, you'll need to buff the entire top for an even finish.

Not knowing what type of finish your table is, try it on an inconspicous area first (if available) before buffing the entire top.

Old 03-28-08, 10:17 PM
C
Talking white stain damage from heat

Let me tell you my experience. I placed a towel full of hot tortillas on top of our cherry wood finished Piano ( my Husband's mothers piano that has been in the family for years) and I freaked out when I took the towel off and there was a big white stain!!! I took the advice about the silver polish and it WORKED!!! It all came right off! I was so grateful! SILVER POLISH IS THE ANSWER! use the one that comes with a sponge applicator and put a little effort into your buffing. I did not have to buff the entire top. I just cleaned up the excess polish and then used my natural wood protectant/polish and the piano looks brand new!

Old 03-30-08, 05:58 PM
D
can I wait?

So this just happened to me -hot paper plate made the finish white on our not-cheap dining room table. I like the idea of the silver polish - do I need to go out right now? Or can I wait a few days? I'm freaking out. Thank you! Thank you!

Old 03-31-08, 05:23 AM
chrisieanne , Glad it worked for you! Always like to here that.

Daisyplaid,

First of all - welcome to the forums!

As I mentioned in my previous post, make sure you try it on an inconspicous area first. It really doesn't make too much of a difference if you do it right away or wait. The damage is already done.

Old 11-15-09, 03:00 PM
D
Thumbs up Great advice!

We damaged a nice dining room table a few years ago with a hot Thanksgiving dish placed without a hot pad. I then damaged it some more by trying something I read about using mineral spirits to get it out. I was just about to strip it and start over when I saw this advice about using silver polish. Voila! Well, it took some elbow grease. But the effort has to have been 10 times less than stripping, and the finish is kept close to new, so I expect much better than I would have done. I wish I had done before and after photos. Thanks! Oh I also used mixture of boiled Linseed oil and gum turpentine to clean up and then polish. Looks great.

Old 12-28-10, 10:30 AM
N
oh oh Christmas damage

Our mahogany table now sports several large pale "polka dots" of heat damage, or something (despite trivets, etc).

Could someone please explain the silver polish method of help? I'm new, just reading raves, but have no idea where to start. Since I didn't avert this minor tragedy, I need to repair as best I can. Thank you.

Old 12-28-10, 10:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
First, welcome to the forums

The silver polish method is nothing more complex than polishing the damaged areas of the finish on the table

Might take a little elbow grease and you may have to buff the entire surface to get a uniform look

Old 12-29-10, 04:49 AM
N
heat damage to mahogany table

As a person who loves silver (the cleaning is therapeutic) I own many different brands and kinds of polish. Which kind? There are foams, there's Weenol, there are Hagerty creams, etc etc.

A young lady mentioned one that comes with a sponge. I don't know which that is. I refuse to let my husband take the leaves out until we attempt this fix (because you don't remember until you have company again).

Thank you.

Old 03-26-11, 07:12 AM
N
Brand

I had also placed a hot plate on top of an expensive table. The hot plate formed a circular darker color on a tobacco lacquered table as the table's coating is consistent but the color where the hot plate was is darker and looks oily. I will try the silver polish method, but I was wondering which brand should I look for and do they have a website?

Old 03-26-11, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Silver polish is silver polish. Just go to any supermarket or drug store and buy whatever brand they have in a paste.

Old 03-29-12, 09:17 PM
J
Thank you!

I went to the hassle of three wrong "captcha" tries to register just so I ould respond and say "Thank you!" -- not surprisingly, not all advice on the Internet is good, and I was trying to flatten bubbles in wood veneer on a tabletop caused by moisture - iron cardboard and wax paper over it, they said. All I got was white clouds in my finish! So I thought "idiot, you just made it worse!", and was ready to donate the table to the thrift shop when I found the advise of the silver polish. Works great, yes, you do have to be insistent -- I had to come back a couple of times, but the table top looks great and it's not "lost" after all!

Old 03-30-12, 07:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Glad this worked out for you and thank you for letting us know it did - we often give advice but seldom get to hear the results.

Old 04-21-12, 05:33 AM
A
Thumbs up Silver Polish Works!

I tried to silver polish on two different tables with two different finishes and it worked both times and cleaned up well with water and then wood cleaner. You can get the silver polish at W-mart there's a sponge inside the container. It's over by the dishwashing stuff. Wieman brand. A hair dryer mentioned on other posts did nothing for me. The spots that were the brightest white were the easiest to clean up. The spots that were much more dull took much much more rubbing to remove.
Worked well on a high end table with fine wood a very dark thin satin-y finish. Worked just fine on a cheaper table with a thicker coat of semigloss finish and rich mahogany color. You don't have to do the whole table. The part you "clean" will just look extra nice for awhile.

Old 05-09-12, 10:29 AM
M
Spots on wood table

I have read the comments but have a couple questions. First, I bought Weiman Silver Cream, can I use this, or does it have to say 'polish'?

Also, can is use this technique on my whole table? It just doesn't have a good shine to it.

Thank you very much.

Old 05-09-12, 10:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums

What caused the spots on your table?

Old 05-09-12, 11:22 AM
M
Spots

I believe it is heat related.

Old 05-09-12, 11:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
What's the purpose of your silver cream? If it is meant to polish silver even though that word is not in the name, I would think it would be fine.

Yes, you can do this on the whole table and, in fact, you may have to in order to get a uniform sheen.

Old 05-09-12, 11:30 AM
M
Spots on wood

I wanted to be sure. I'm not what you would call 'handy' with things like this.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-09-12, 11:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Keep hanging around here, you'll be handy in no time

Old 10-23-12, 11:22 AM
S
Smile

My daughter left a paper plate with hot food on the new dining room table and it left the white ghosting blotches in three places. I just tried the silver polish on the dining room table using a Mr. Clean magic eraser sponge. It took less than 30 seconds to remove all traces of the ‘Oops’. I then used some orange furniture polish over the entire table. It looks beautiful!!! To top it off her mother won’t kill her. My daughter owes me BIG!!!
Thanks for the great tip!!!

Old 04-04-13, 02:47 PM
D
Using silver polish to repair wood table -- it works!!!!

Just had to reply and say thank you to all who posted about repairing heat damage on a wood table using silver polish. It sounded crazy to me, but I was devastated by the damage a hot dish did to my cherry dining room table, so I thought I would try it. After all, the damage was done. I only had to rub that end of the table with the silver cream, and then I polished the whole table with orange furniture oil. It looks fantastic. You would never know! Thanks.

Old 04-04-13, 02:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Glad to hear this worked out for you

Old 08-11-13, 09:20 PM
J
Exact same thing!

My wife also just Ironed clothes on our dining room table! Big white patches, thought it was ruined. Tried the silver polish and it worked! Then just sprayed it with some generic lemon pledge copycat and all is back to normal!

Closed Thread