shellac and MinWax alternative in Europe

Old 12-07-07, 08:56 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just moved to the Netherlands and am working on a few projects. I cannot find Bin or shellac! or MinWax. I have found Yacht Varnish but have not yet found oil based polyurethane varnish. (I don't know if all of this is due to EU environmental issues). We live on the German border so I will try to search Germany as well.

Questions:

1. I would like to paint over some wooden furniture and possibly use part of the original color to show through. Is there an alternative to shellac that is colorless that would seal the wood and if not colorless, what then? I would like to paint with nonwater-base paint..i.e. oil based/alkyd (I am an oil painter and would like to paint paintings on some of the panels as well as the general piece).

2. I have an old trunk from at least 1917 (there are pencil inscriptions on the inside). The wood is unfinished on the inside, very dry and a few wood worm tunnels but not too many. Can I use an oil finish for this? What would you recommend for the tunnels...I would prefer not to try to match a wood filler on this raw, old wood. The outside of the trunk was painted and is already nicely distressed and worn. There are patches of chips or raw wood that I would like to seal and then paint/match. I was thinking then to finish the outside with either a clear lacquer with a touch of black oil paint or the oil finish (or the polyurethane if I can find it)

Thank you!

Old 12-07-07, 09:31 AM
I would suggest looking for a company (or individual) that does furniture repair and refinishing and question what type of materials they use, as well as where they get them.

Availability of many products can vary greatly, even within the U.S.

Old 12-07-07, 10:13 AM
N

Thank you for the quick reply.
I was just looking again online and found a lead for the BIN shellac...contact in France for distribution in the Netherlands, so I'll try that.
(I do see a lot of water-based materials here but that isn't what I am looking for!)
Yes, I will look into local woodworkers..as I don't speak Dutch yet, my husband will soon become an expert on furniture refinishing.
thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: