Finishing

Old 12-16-07, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing

need a little advice on finishing my pool table,Ive recently re-veneered a 90 year old pool table with mahogany. veneer was sanded to 220 and stained with red mahogany veneer.
What Ive done with one of the legs;
brushed on sanding sealer sanded with 400 grit and brushed on a second, sanded one more time with 400 then filled pores with behlens. let pores dry overnight and lightly sanded with 400 before top coating with deft clear spray lacquer.
I'm thinking after reading more and more that I should have used 220 in some of the steps and let the pore filler stand for a few more days
also some of the pores are still there can I sand the existing leg with 220 and fill it again? any help would be greatly appreciated
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 05:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Biagio,
When sanding a wood product to be finished or "grained filled", it's generally best to use either 220 or 280 garnet sandpaper. Sandpaper with less cut than these tent to "burnish" the wood making staining more difficult.

In your case, nothing was mentioned about staining so I can't address that. The smoothness of the surface when using grain filler is insignificant because the filler is made to go in the crevices rather than stay on the surface of the wood.

Generally speaking, overnight drying of the grain filler is quite adequate. The surface, however should NOT be sanded at all before an additional washcoat of sealer is added. The sealer locks the filler into the grain thus prohibiting the sandpaper from pulling it out of the grain.

Very seldom does a single filling of the grain do the complete job. Typically it is necessary to fill the grain with two or three coats of the filler. Make sure that the filler is pressed into the grain by going perpendicular to the direction of the grain. Don't wipe off the excess by going with the grain. At very most, wipe off the excess by going no more than a 45 degree angle to the wood grain.

After adding the wash coat of sealer, sand very lightly using worn pieces of your 220 or 280 sandpaper. This will provide an adequately smooth surface for your finish coats.

Good luck!

CD