getting oak to take a dark stain

Old 12-21-07, 07:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow getting oak to take a dark stain

I have stripped a white (not red oak)oak table and chairs. Now I am ready to stain them, but am unable to get the wood to take the stain as dark as I wood like. I want the finish to be quite dark like old English furniture.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-07, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 152 Posts
Is it possible that there is still some residue left from the stripping process that is blocking (sealing) the pores of the wood? It could be that the wood has either not been sanded enough- to open up the pores, or perhaps it was sanded too much, with such fine sandpaper that it has somewhat closed the pores of the wood. It could also be that another brand of stain would work better. Personally, I would not sand with anything finer than 150 grit if the target color is dark, such as English Walnut. I'd avoid Minwax's dark colors on a big project- they will often sweat, continuing to bleed even after you have wiped it several times: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...9-28-07014.jpg

Old 12-21-07, 08:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by workfor4 View Post
I have stripped a white (not red oak)oak table and chairs. Now I am ready to stain them, but am unable to get the wood to take the stain as dark as I wood like. I want the finish to be quite dark like old English furniture.
Thanks Xsleeper, your right, I did use a gel stripper that I'm having a hard time getting the residue off, yet the seat that I tried the stain on should have been pretty clean, but I did not sand it. I will try the sanding and try again.

Old 12-21-07, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 152 Posts
Be sure you're testing your stain color on an inconspicuous spot (bottom of the seat / bottom of the table) so that you don't have any problems if you need to switch colors or brands.

BTW, welcome to the forums, I missed that this is your first post!