Method to remove gloss and fix fingernail scratches?

Old 01-18-08, 03:23 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Method to remove gloss and fix fingernail scratches?

From our dining room table, my wife tried to remove a little glossy patch (we think from giftwrap left several days) with nail polish remover... if that wasn't bad enough we tested the finish with a fingernail and you can imagine the mess - we now have a little glossy patch with rough fingerprints and nail scratches.

The dark wood table is about 6 months old with a satin finish, purchased from Macy's but not cheap. I thought the finish was just wax and I could even it all out with a little cleaner and elbow grease, but nothing doing. No response to a little mineral oil and good buffing either.

I don't know what the finish is and am scared to death of taking fine sandpaper or steel wool to it without checking in here first!

Is it evident what kind of finish the table is from my description, and what is our best course of action to remove the gloss and restore the damage from fingerprints and nail scratches?

Much thanks!

Old 01-18-08, 05:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
The most common finish on a purchased piece like this is lacquer. You may have to have the top refinished.

Old 01-18-08, 06:48 AM
F
Buff & polish the lacquer anyway?

Originally Posted by mitch17
The most common finish on a purchased piece like this is lacquer. You may have to have the top refinished.
Thanks for the reply! My wife noticed that some of the "finish" came off on her fingernail. Would lacquer behave like that, or would it be wax?

So, if it is lacquer then I'd have nothing to lose by buffing with a very fine pad and then polishing, would I?

Third quick question... if we were going to go with refinishing, wouldn't we want to go with a different finish. Any recommendations?

Old 01-18-08, 02:25 PM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Finaddict
Thanks for the reply! My wife noticed that some of the "finish" came off on her fingernail. Would lacquer behave like that, or would it be wax?
After the introduction of acetone (nail polish remover), all bets are off
So, if it is lacquer then I'd have nothing to lose by buffing with a very fine pad and then polishing, would I?
Correct
You probably won't have much to gain either, but the surface most likely will have to be re-finished anyway
Third quick question... if we were going to go with refinishing, wouldn't we want to go with a different finish. Any recommendations?
Not really
Acetone can mess up anything, even tile
It's not that lacquer is not a good finish, it's that acetone is so bad for any finishes

Old 01-21-08, 03:31 AM
F
Thanks again Mitch and slickshift

Much thanks. A quick "No it won't work" is better than a "maybe" in this case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: