45 degree joints

Old 01-23-08, 10:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
45 degree joints

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question in, as it's not actually a finishing question, but a construction question, but I'm hoping you guys can help me anyway...

I'm building a cube (16"x16"x16") out of oak veneer. I'd like the corner joints to butt together at 45 degrees. I've never made a 45 degree joint before and I'm not sure of the best way to make this cut. I don't have a table saw; so far I've done all my cutting with a skill saw + guide. I'm not sure that this would give me edges that butt together as nicely as I'd like them to, what do you think?

I've also been thinking of getting 45 degree router bit, as I have a really nice router and table. With straight cuts, I'm wondering if this would be easier to accomplish then using the skill.

Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations on how to make this cut as easily as possible, while maintaining the closest/nicest possible edge.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-08, 03:40 PM
J
What you are asking is how to make 2 -45deg cuts to make a 90 deg corner. You need more than a skill saw for accurate cuts. A power miter is usually the gadget to do this, but it is possible with a circular saw and a triangle guide. That usually takes some practice and careful measurements. You could rent a miter saw of buy one of it will get enough usage to warrant it, good ones are not inexpensive. Hand miter boxes will work, but too often don't give the performance you need.

Old 01-23-08, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,963 Upvotes on 1,760 Posts
I don't know any miter saw that will cross cut a 16" wide piece. If you only have a skilsaw, I'm guessing that its probably one of those inexpensive sidewinders that kind of rattles when you run it... correct me if I'm wrong... but if that's the case, you probably won't get a very nice mitered joint even with a nice blade and a saw guide to help you cut straight and square.

So perhaps you could use the skilsaw to rough cut the pieces to their approximate size, and then router the edges since you mentioned you have a router and table.

The bit I'd recommend is a 45 Lock Miter Router Bit, placed in your router table, then run your pieces over the bit with the help of a fence or miter gauge. It should make the perfect joint that you're looking for. As you router, you may know that you'll want to hold some sacrificial material behind your pieces as you router them so that the router bit does not create tearout as it exits your piece. Also purchasing a setup block for the bit you purchase will save you some time and material.

Old 01-24-08, 06:39 AM
J
Thank you both

XSleeper,
This is the same idea I was looking into! I think I'll go with it. I'll post back with some pictures, but it'll be a few weeks before I can get the bit.

Regards,
Jeremy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: