Refinish/paint oak cabinets

Old 01-25-08, 11:24 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinish/paint oak cabinets

We have oak cabinets, pickled finished. I would like to paint them a light cream color and apply a highlighting dark paint/stain that just fills defines areas like grooves and routed edges. I'm sure you have all seen this technique. I just don't know what it's called. The two big unknowns for me are 1.) how to diminish or eliminate the oak grain and 2.) how to apply the dark highlighting. I assume it is an apply and wipe off technique of some kind. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-25-08, 01:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
I hate to see good wood like oak painted - no chance you would consider stripping and refinishing with stain instead?

Old 01-25-08, 02:16 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staining vs painting

Mitch, I can appreciate your comment. I feel the same way but this remodel needs a certain "look" and the oak cabinets will have to be painted.

Old 01-25-08, 04:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
After sanding and cleaning the oak you will need to coat it with a solvent based primer, preferably a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN although an oil base primer will work.

Using latex or waterborne for the subsequent coats will help to fill the grain. Worst case scenario - skim the wood with spackling or joint compound and sand off all the filler except what stays in the grain!

I seldom do any faux painting so I'll leave that for others to answer although the folks at the paint store [not dept] should be able to advise you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: