I want to slow the RPM's of my router

Old 02-18-08, 03:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I want to slow the RPM's of my router

I am in the process of making cabinet doors, with maple and while making the cope cuts on my stiles I noticed I am burning the wood. I am assuming the RPM of my router is too fast, it is 27000. So, is there a way to slow my router down? I never thought about investing in a variable speed router. I have seen what I think is a Reostat, I beleive that it decreases the voltage to electic tools or appliances and I am wondering if that will work.
Any IDEAS ????????????????

DanO

Old 02-18-08, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
Mount an outlet on your router table for your router to plug into. Then wire that outlet to a dimmer switch.

Old 02-18-08, 05:06 PM
Sleeper, brilliant, I never thought of that. I ordered a router speed control from Harbor Freight tonight. I am borrowing a reo-stat from a friend and I will pick up a dimmer switch tomorrow also, I am curious how well it will work.

DanO

Old 02-19-08, 03:57 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
I've made a portable variable speed reducer using a 4" square electrical box with an outlet, dimmer and wire with a plug. You may also want to check to see that your burning is not due to a dull bit or leaving the router in one position too long.

Old 02-19-08, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Might check with Harbor Freight. They have them for just that . plug it in the wall and plug your router right into it.

Old 02-22-08, 12:26 PM
I bought a router speed control unit from Harbor Freight, 10 bucks, will have to wait till it arrives. In the meantime, i did the dimmer switch thing, works great. The burning was in fact too fast RPM's, I have new bits and since I slowed the bits from 27000 to @ 18000 RPM which is the recommended speed for that size bit, no more burning. I did play with the speed to find the sweet speed, when there is no more vibrating and the wood doesn't burn.

Old 02-27-08, 07:29 PM
Dimmer Switch to slow router is a bust

I tried the dimmer switch idea, at first it worked fine but over time I noticed it would only slow the router slightly and the dimmer switch became very warm too. I assume that it is not made to handle such abuse, drats !!!!

Old 11-28-10, 04:54 PM
D
Greetings: I have tried a Harbor Freight speed control. It doesn't work for me, as the router bogs down uncontrollably when the work is against the knife. I would like a tool that would run at 1,000-2,000RPM but otherwise mount like a table router. any ideas?
Arsalaan in Florida

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: