Vanity Finishing

Old 02-19-08, 05:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vanity Finishing

Hello all,
We purchased a pre-finished wood sofa table and are planning to use it in our "new" bathroom as a vanity. I'm not concerned about cutting the holes for the sinks/faucets, but I would like to give it a good finish to protect well from the moisture that will inevitably end up on it. I've considered using a polycrylic ( http://www.minwax.com/products/prote...polycrylic.cfm ) that I have from other projects. I've also talked with a few people that have recommended a varnish that you might find at a marine supply store...but I'm not exactly sure what to use. Can anyone give me some product recommendations to give a good protective coating for this vanity?

Thanks,
Guy

Old 02-20-08, 07:45 PM
Chances are that the Marine varnish that people spoke with you about is Spar varnish.

The most important thing you need to worry is prepping the finish properly that is on the table to receive another finish on top of it.

Minwax make a perfectly good finish with their oil base polyurethane finish (Let me recommend satin). The finish that is on the table must be thoroughly sanded using 220 garnet sandpaper. Anywhere there is any kind of gloss left will be a weak place in the finish bond.
Prior to applying your finish, stop by an automotive supply store and pick up some fisheye elliminator. Many times they will have an off brand, which is ok, but most of the time you'll be limited to a single product. One brand to look for is called "Smoothie". Add this product to your finish to avoid "fisheye" in you finish. Fisheye is little round circles all throughout your finish that is almost impossible to get rid of. Proceed from there with your finish coats.

Any other questions? Don't hesitate to let us know!!

CD

Old 02-21-08, 03:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I'd also recomend using an oil base poly. As far as I know marine/spar varnish/poly only comes in gloss and it is formulated more for exterior use. An interior grade oil base poly will protect your vanity just as well and an interior grade dries to a harder finish [will wear better] than a spar poly does. Interior poly comes in 3 basic sheens; satin, semi-gloss and gloss.

IMO fisheye medicine is over kill - just be sure any wax or oils are cleaned off the surface first. If you do get any fish eyes, a light sanding, remove dust and recoating should eliminate them. I'D also recomend coating the cut edges to protect them from moisture.

Old 02-21-08, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. It sounds like you would say to go with a oil based poly instead of a water based polycrylic. Does the oil based hold up better? I also noticed that Minwax makes some water based poly for floors that are meant to have very high wear resistance.

Thanks,
Guy

Old 02-21-08, 08:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Water based coatings are getting better but I still believe that an oil base poly/varnish or enamel dries to a harder [more durable] finish than it's water base counterpart.

Plus you have the issue of the piece previously having a finish on it - oil base should adhere better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: