Kitchen cabinets how to change?

Old 03-01-08, 07:27 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen cabinets how to change?

I have golden oak kitchen cabinets that came with the house. Is it possible for me to take off the doors and stain these another color? Do I have to sand these first? Has anyone tried this without Painting the cabinets?

We have the medium oak and I would like it to be a different color. However, I will keep them like they are if it would make them look worse with me trying to do it myself.

Old 03-01-08, 05:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
To restain them them a different color you would first need to use a stripper and then sanding. Only raw wood can be stained.

Another option would be to use a tinted poly like minwax's polyshades. This is basically a see thru color. 2 coats should be the maximum - any more and you start to lose the wood grain. It must be applied evenly! Lap marks, runs, puddles or any areas where it is applied too heavy will be darker. After the color coat is dry, a clear poly should be applied to protect the color from wear.

Prep for polyshades is fairly simple, clean off any/all wax or grime, sand lightly with 220 grit, wipe off sanding dust and apply the tinted poly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: