Cabinet/Floor Installation Uneven

Old 03-12-08, 05:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cabinet/Floor Installation Uneven

My floor dips down in the middle of a standard height 11 foot run of cabinets. About 7/16 of an inch down at the lowest point.
I plan on installing snap together cork plank flooring after the cabinets go in that is about 1/2-inch (12 mm) high. After shimming the cabinets will match the finish floor in the middle, but not on the ends of the run. I guess I would have to scribe the toekick to compensate for the high flooring at the ends.
Should I be raising the cabinets up to match the finish floor all along the run? Or does this fall within the range of error? I don't want to level the floor for the cork if I don't have to.

Old 03-16-08, 05:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Romy07,
The floor being uneven is much more common than most people realize.
As far as the cabinets. Don't match them to the contour of the floor. Using a level, install the cabinets level (horizontal) and plum (vertically straight). Any gap left at the bottom should be eliminated by "scribing" your foot board (called a toekick) to the curvature of the floor.
To properly scribe the toekick, use a compass ( a device for drawing circles.) lay the board to be scribed against the front of the cabinets and spread the points of the compass to match the widest gap between the floor and the toekick board. Then, hold the compass firmly to keep the points set at the right distance and put the point of the compass on the floor and the marking side against the board to be cut. Starting at one side of the board. pull the compass towards you and mark the bottom edge of the board with the profile of the gap. Cut away the excess that you've marked and the curvature of your board should match the plane of the floor.

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: