Repoly on existing trim without sanding?

Old 03-15-08, 02:15 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repoly on existing trim without sanding?

The usual problem - one house project makes everything around it look bad We installed new wood floors and stained baseboards and now the existing door trims look terrible. We still like the dark color, and they are in reasonable good condition but some pieces look like the have no poly left on them anymore (possibly never had any??), or it is very very dull. I think if we just added a coat of poly to bring them up, it would solve the problem.
I would rather not take the trim down to do this as I saw what happened to the baseboards when I removed them for the floor project and figure I would do more harm to the trim or walls if I try to remove it. If I sand, I really can't imagine reaching the edges of the trim against the wall. Can I just skip the sanding and try a coat of poly? And should I even be using a poly, or do I need a shellac product? The house was built in 1978.

Old 03-15-08, 03:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Shellac was used on the older homes, it's unlikely it was used on yours.

It would be best to sand first - it doesn't have to be a heavy duty sanding - just a light hand sanding by hand with 180-220 grit sandpaper. Failure to sand might result in adhesion issues. Don't forget to wipe off the sanding dust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: