Cleaning Knotty Pine

Old 03-16-08, 06:42 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Knotty Pine

I am remodeling my kitchen. Half way up the wall in knotty pine. It could really use a good cleaning, any ideas as to what to use. I would like to clean and then put tung oil on top of it. OR any other suggestions that some of you may have. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-08, 10:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wizof103
I am remodeling my kitchen. Half way up the wall in knotty pine. It could really use a good cleaning, any ideas as to what to use. I would like to clean and then put tung oil on top of it. OR any other suggestions that some of you may have. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure from your explanation whether the knotty pine is finished or simply woodwork that is unfinished and dirty from use. I'll try to address this from both avenues.

If the wood is unfinished but dirty from use, a product called TSP (trisodium phosphate) is an excellent cleaner that will remove dirt, oil and other types of greasy substances. TSP is available at most hardware stores. Mix it according to the instructions on the container and rinse thoroughly (used some old towels soaked it warm water) and allow it to dry at least 2 full days before proceeding with your tung oil finish.

If your woodwork is finished, Murphy's oil soap is an excellent cleaner. Mix this product according to the label instructions and clean as directed. After the surface is thoroughly dried, proceed to add your tung oil finish right over the top of the old finish.

Carrying this one step further; If the finish is dark and oily and appears to be hiding the beauty of the wood, mix equal parts of denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner and scrub the finish using a medium grit fiber pad. This is typically a green colored pad. The solution will desolve the degraded finish and leave the surface clean and ready for your tung oil finish.

Hopefully this has addressed your situation. Good luck!
CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: