Red paint stain

Old 03-18-08, 02:28 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Red paint stain

I have an old chair and vanity that were painted red. I started removing the paint on the chair and I'm down to the wood but the red color of the paint has stain the wood. Any idea how to get the stain out of the wood? I tried the stripper again and even a refinisher but the wood is still stain.

Old 03-18-08, 04:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Might not be able to. Painting another color is probably your best bet.

Old 03-18-08, 06:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
If you can't wash it out with paint thinner or laquer thinner and it won't sand out - it's probably there to stay.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-18-08, 08:10 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Depending on age of piece, many red finishes contained red dyes. As indicated, it may be difficult to remove if absorbed into wood. It might be more helpful to determine age and origin of piece, as finishes of certain periods can be informative.

Attempts to remove finishes and to renfinish old pieces (historic) can destory value. Perhaps, you should do some research before you make a final conclusion.

Old 04-01-08, 08:16 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sl111359
I have an old chair and vanity that were painted red. I started removing the paint on the chair and I'm down to the wood but the red color of the paint has stain the wood. Any idea how to get the stain out of the wood? I tried the stripper again and even a refinisher but the wood is still stain.

If you are sure it was painted you could try a bleach. that may help you nuertralize the red

if was just really heavy stain you could also try and neutralize the red...using a green dye to bring the red to a brown color.

when you are desperate your desperate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: