Dark Espresso finish

Old 04-07-08, 01:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dark Espresso finish

I am looking to finish a piece of furniture that I plan to make. I want to stain the wood a dark brown. I see this on a lot of furniture and I cannot seem to figure out how it's done. This finish does not show much wood grain and is almost black.
I have not picked out the wood yet because I am not sure which will give me that dark color without showing the grain.

So I need to know which wood and how to achieve that effect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-08, 10:47 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dark espresso finish

Hi dogman
I have been playing with many different wood finishes the past few weeks.
I'm finishing some loft rafters in various colors and well.....lets face it ....stock 2X from the lumberyard is not a "pretty" grain.
I haven't tested your color idea out but have done many others.
The darkest of mine is a coral red/brown. Looks great!
I use a dye process. Acrylic craft paint works for me.
First coat is base and grain raiser. I thin the paint with H20 and wet it quite well. Let it dry and lightly sand with medium grit sand paper. Second coat is the predominant color applied without thinning and wiped off with a cloth after 30 mins.
Next day I begin the finish.
Since I'm not doing fine furniture I leave out the rest of the in between sanding and simply apply as many coats of danish oil finish as I have patience for.
Works well for me on cheap pine.
For my coral type color I used a base of burnt umber and hand mixed the red. Just a thought for espresso....base of black and top coat of burnt umber. The more sanding and oiling you do....the more lovely the finish will be.
Regards
Whitefeather

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: