how to remove "antique finish" from cabinets

Old 04-09-08, 04:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to remove "antique finish" from cabinets

The cabinets in my kitchen are really old and in bad shape .
When I moved in,the owner told me they had an " antique finish" - not sure what that is , but basically they have a stained look - now ,years later they are starting to peel in spots and underneath it appears to be light brown latex paint, but I'm not sure . My idea of antique finish is paint with something over it to create a stained look ???

I would like to know how to strip the cabinets and just apply a stain - is there something special to do rather than just a plain stripping agent because of the antiquing ?

I'm afraid to make them even worse than they are - the house needs a lot of repairs and new cabinets are not a priority , but I would like to at least clean them up and make them look decent .

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-09-08, 05:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
I wouldn't think there would be any problems with using a paint stripper.

To get them ready for stain, you need to sand them well after you are done with the stripping process. Stripped wood doesn't always stain as well as new raw lumber.

If you don't want to go thru that much work, a good sanding, primer and coat or two of enamel should dress them up fairly nice.

There's a sticky at the top of the painting forum that gives good tips on repainting cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: