Grandma's treasures!

Old 05-07-08, 06:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grandma's treasures!

My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and I was given her furnishings.Among them were 2 end tables made by Lane.I have written an email to them with the style number 997-02 ( probably should have included serial # as well ) since I do not know what type of wood was used.It was bought new early 70's

I was also given a coffee table/dining table that has no markings.It was purchased in 1953 for $900! and is mahogany.Odd table it is.It can convert ( notice *legs 2nd image ) from coffee table to dining table by folding legs.

I'm looking to restore them but not have to refinish if I don't have to.The end tables are in really great shape but could use a little rejuvenation.I just don't know what I should use and what to continue to use as maintenance.I don't believe a wax was ever used.

The table I believe is a lacquer finish.It has a small area that someone put a "fresh out of the microwave paper plate" heat mark near the corner.It was also cleaned by who knows what by some maids.Joke was that they loved to use Ajax and water but dont think they used that on the table.But they used something that made the finish look dull in some areas.The finish seems to still be there but just dull.

I see so many wood cleaning/refinishing/restoring products online I don't know what to use.I guess knowing what type of woos and finish is key to doing anything?

I have older images.Not the best but cant take pictures now as my camera is on the fritz right now.Click thumbs for larger images.

Old 05-08-08, 06:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For removing minor wear marks as well as light water marks I have used one product exclusively for over 20 years.

Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover.

A lot of elbow grease (an orbital buffer helps) but it works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: