Repainting Laminate Cabinets

Old 05-11-08, 08:59 PM
Repainting Laminate Cabinets

I was reading the "Ideal Cabinet Repaint" sticky and it says I can use this technique to repaint laminate cabinets. Even though it says it will work, how well does it look? I have laminate kitchen cabinets and I really want to change the look of them. I was hoping to paint it some sort of dark brown. Will it look fine if I just follow the sticky's advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-08, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
A lot depends on what type of laminate you have, be sure to scuff sand and use a pigmented shellac primer and clean the surface well for the best bond. Aside from that the look of the paint job is directly related to how neatly you apply the paint. As always quality paint, brushes [and rollers] are the easiest to work with and give the best looking finished product.

Old 05-13-08, 09:34 AM
Thanks. Is shellac the only type of primer to use for laminates?

Old 05-13-08, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
Pigmented shellac adheres better to problem surfaces better than any other primer I'm aware of......... and painting cabinets is too much work to have it fail because the primer didn't bond.

Old 05-15-08, 09:33 AM
I'll vote with Mark on this one.

As furniture refinisher I normally use clear finishes> When I do a pint job, however, evenon a stipped piece, I use a pigmented shellac. It avoids a lot of problems down the line and I haven't had a finish fail on me yet (30+ years).