Tacky Stain

Old 05-15-08, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tacky Stain

Hi there

I rescently stripped my oak kitchen down to the bones. I used a chemical stripper and then sanded evething down. I am staining the cabinets a VERY drak brown and want full coverage so I purchased the minwax water base paint with the tint in it. To obtain the darkness I wanted I put on 3-4 coats. It is very thck and still a little tacky to the touch. It has been sitting 3 hours now and still is tacky. I am going to leave it over the weekend. HAve I done something wrong? or is there just allot of stain that needs to dry? I love the colour that is on them now and they are stained perfectly but even after three hours of sitting I can still put a fingerprint in the stain it I like them and hold them too long. they are definitely not ready for verathane. Thanks

Lroeyna

Old 05-16-08, 03:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 407 Votes on 363 Posts
I don't have much experience with waterbased stains but generally you run into problems when you apply more than 1 coat of stain. Stain is formulated to be obsorbed more than for drying on top of a sealed surface - 1st coat of stain tends to seal the wood.

Unless you remove some of the stain, your best bet would be to spray a light coat of sealer/poly over the stain and when it dries, sand lightly and recoat with poly....... but give it a few days first, you may get lucky

Old 05-16-08, 03:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you may run across an adhesion issue when you put your finish coats on. With stain, the best way to apply is to put in on the wood and let it sit for a bit then wipe all the excess off. If you put many coats on, you end up leaving stain on the surface of the wood instead of having it all penetrate. the finish coat will then stick to the stain particles rather then the wood. Most of those particals are similar to dirt. so your finish coat is sticking to, basically, dirt.

as for dry time, Minwax is a DIY stain. That means you may have days of dry time. Some of the darker stains take about 72 hours to dry to the point where the solvents in the finish coats will not re-wet the stain and draw it into the finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: