what substrate won't warp for a tile table?

Old 05-30-08, 09:20 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question what substrate won't warp for a tile table?

I'm making a tile table top to be attached to an old cast iron treadle sewing machine base. I tried putting a 3/4" plywood piece on for the top, but it warped. The treadle base has only 4 small attachment points for screwing the plywood onto the base and for the most part, the plywood is unsupported. The top measures 19" x 27". I attached 2 x 4 supports around the edges for added strength, but the top warped any way. Did the added weight of the 2x 4's cause the warping?
Any suggestions about what I should use? A new piece of plywood? Wonderboard? or do I need to brace the wood underneath somehow? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Old 06-01-08, 03:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use the plywood for strength, then cover with 1/2 or 1/4" hardibacker. Impervious to moisture so the plywood will not get damp, which was your problem. The plywood sucked the moisture out of the tile adhesive, which caused the warp. Glue(construction adhesive)/screw the backer to the plywood. Wonderboard(cement) will pass moisture, so hardibacker is the better choice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: