Wood cabinets - your opinion on painting or stripping/restaining?

Old 06-03-08, 09:54 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wood cabinets - your opinion on painting or stripping/restaining?

Before I ask, here are some pictures of the cabinets in question:

Please ignore the mess - I'm remodeling, obviously. The floor will be that white color in the pictures, I just haven't finished the edges of the white floor yet.

But as you can see the cabinets are borderline disgusting. I would just paint over them but that seems like such a huge waste when I like the natural wood look so much.

But this is not about what I like - this is about wanting to sell the place for a profit. In your all's opinions, is it even POSSIBLE to strip and paint those after thirty years? Do you think the nice wood cabinets would help the house sell? Or do you think just painting them would do the trick?

And finally - I have no idea how to strip/restain, so far this is the only reason I have to not do it. Does anyone here know of a good wesite to show me how, or have the know-how to just give me some instruction over the internet?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-08, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Like you, I hate to paint over nice wood although that might be your easiest fix. Here's some good info on painting cabinets : http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=292098

You will need to clean them up some before you do anything to them. If they clean up decent, applying a coat of tinted poly [like minwax polyshades] might be an option. Depending on the tint used, it will change the color some of the wood but still allow most of the wood grain to show. It can be a little tricky to apply! Because it has a tint, lap marks, runs, sags or puddles will be darker and of course any thin or missed areas will be lighter.

While stripping and refinishing is probably the best method, it is also the most time consuming. basically you brush on the stripper, let it set and work, then scrape off the finish, repeat as necessary. Then the wood needs to be rinsed with a solvent to remove any stripper residue and sanded smooth - then it's ready to restain, followed by 3 coats of poly, sanding lightly between the coats of poly.

Old 06-04-08, 03:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
More or less what Mark said. Thoroughly clean with TSP or similar. That alone may dictate your next choice, but it would make a big difference. Then sand lightly and finish with (IMHO) satin poly. If that is not satisfactory, then consider paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: