Stainable Wood Putty?

Old 06-23-08, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stainable Wood Putty?

I have some small holes in some trim work that I need to fill where I removed some hooks. What is the best stainable wood putty/filler to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-08, 09:15 AM
I've used both Famowood and 3M. Neither accepts stain to match the surrounding wood work - you have to play with it.

Old 06-23-08, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Like George said, even tho they say stainable, they'll never match using the same stain. Many folks have mentioned getting some tubes or small cans of the pre-tinted putty, then mixing small amounts to get the right color.

Or try a close color of stainable, then get an assortment of the stain markers and start with the lightest one. Sometimes you need to just let the stain dry, as opposed to apply, let set, then wipe.

I have used Minwax and Dap with both of the above methods, with relative success. I may know the patched areas are there, but no one else would notice them.

Old 06-23-08, 04:54 PM
What Gunguysaid. I use Minwax colored pencils all the time to fill finish nails heads, Very close match. And they have putty containers in specific colors to match their stains, almost an exact match. Since wood is not a uniform thing, and exact match is impossible.

Old 06-23-08, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 126 Posts
While an exact match with colored putty is possible, it can be very time consuming I prefer to use color putty - after the wood is stained and sealed. Mixing up 2-3 colors of putty will get you close enough where the puttied nail holes won't show.

Old 06-24-08, 10:03 AM
If you're using putty (stays soft) as opposed to the Famowood type which hardens, use mineral oil to soften and mix the various tints to obtain the proper color. Mineral oil will not change the color - Linseed oil will.

Old 06-24-08, 12:26 PM
Just saying thanks for all the wonderful help!

Thank you to everyone for all your insight!!! I really do appreciate the advice!

Old 06-27-08, 08:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if you are filling small nail holes look for a "wax stick" they are like a crayon (most hardware stores like Ace carry them) and you simply rub over the little hole then wipe off excess with a felt block or cheese cloth. Look for one that is a shade darker than your finished color as it will show less.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-02-08 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Advertising is not allowed