Trying to refinished old pine table HELP!

Old 07-14-08, 01:04 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trying to refinished old pine table HELP!

Hi. I came upon a table that I would like to restore. An 8 foot long dining table with a ton of character! Looks like it has been around a while. I would like to use it as a dining table but it needs some work. At first glance, it looks as though termites have gotten a hold of it at some point. I dont know if
they are still in the wood, which brings me to my first question... How do I treat the table to make sure nothing is living in it. Next, I would like to "fill" most of the termite holes. There is a lot of them. If I fill the holes will the table look rediculous? I belive the table is pine or another soft
wood. The legs are not finished, just the table top, which is flaking and bubbling off. Looks like there may be a wax in some spots where its bubbling. I'm not sure what is flaking off. I would like to stain it a walnut stain. Since I plan to use this table as a dining table, I would like to protect it
from everyday use, spills, hot plates, cups, etc. But I love the character and dont want to take away from it. Is there anything out there that I can use to seal the wood from stains and bacteria growth without making it look like a
shiny new table. I love the 100 year old look and the dents. Please help.

Thank you.

Laura

Old 07-14-08, 04:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
Welcome to the forums Laura!

If you are concerned that there are any bugs living in/on the wood - an insecticide should take care of them. Unless mistaken, termites have to have a moisture source to live.

Obviously you will need to remove all the finish that is currently on the top. I'm not sure what would be the best way to remove wax - maybe denatured alchol. Whatever you use, be sure to change/fold the rag frequently so you remove rather than redistribute the wax

I'm not sure how much sanding you would want to do on the top - you might loose your rustic charm if you sand it all smooth. I usually use colored putty on holes after the wood is stained and firs coat of sealer/poly is applied..... but that might be too much work depending on how many holes. A stainable filler like you use when finishing a hardwood floor woud probably be a good choice - be sure to remove any excess from around the holes.

2-3 coats of an oil base satin poly will protect the wood well with minimal sheen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: