Mahogany desk with Lacquer sheen ruined by fake leather box

Old 08-12-08, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mahogany desk with Lacquer sheen ruined by fake leather box

I went to dust my new desk today and the leather / pleather (I think it's fake leather) box that was sitting on my desk stuck. Once I pulled it off it left marks on my desk. They have a texture, look dull and a bit white in color. I had a simular thing happen when a fake leather wallet layed on another piece of furnature creating a shiny spot.

Any ideas on what to use to try and restore the finish?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-08, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whatever the material that was on that box has partially dissolved the finish.

It is possible indentations etc., can be sanded out and the top polished back to it's original sheen.

Wet/Dry paper, 600 grit or finer for the sanding, working only on the affected areas. I use a 50/50 mix of Murphy's Oil Soap and water with paper of this type. Wipe down frequently and check for smoothness and to avoid cutting through the finish into the stain.

Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover can be used to remove the abrasion marks of the sandpaper and retsore the sheen. This part needs to be done to the entire top in order to have an even sheen.

Having said that, you may want to consider having a pro refinish the top with a more durable finish.