Kitchen Cabinent stripping and refinishing

Old 08-26-08, 09:03 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Cabinent stripping and refinishing

I have a small kitchen, the cabinets are in need of being refinished. I'm not too keen on stripping the old stain off (chemicals, mess etc).
Are there services which I can taken the cabinets down and bring them to have them dip stripped and neutralized, leaving them for me to sand, stain etc. Any idea on the cost of such a service.

Thanks,

Old 08-26-08, 09:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Yes you can take them somewhere and have them stripped but it won't be cheap. Check the yellow pages under cabinet and furniture refinishing.

Old 09-14-08, 07:42 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

If the stain is still good and if they were coated with lacquer you can do them in place. Remove hardware. Clean well with soap and water (on the rag, not the cabinet directly) rinse same way, clean with Wax Wash (mohawk-finishing.com), check with bright light to make sure all foreign residue is gone and repeat if necessary. Buff with steel wool or 3m plastic mesh version. Touch up color with pens. Mask. Practice with aerosol lacquer (mohawk again) on vertical surfaces before doing cabinet. Remove doors and drawer faces to do horizontal one side at a time. Check between coats for specks, hairs, etc., and sand then buff as necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: