STAININ DISASTER! If you can think it i did it!!

Old 09-08-08, 08:46 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STAININ DISASTER! If you can think it i did it!!

oK... Here it is. the worlds worst stain job!

I am refinishing my bathroom cabinets. I did Ok on the frame, (actual oak wood) but not so much on the doors.

I worked on the doors in my garage, which was my 1st mistake... DIRT, BUGS, ECT... the frame I left in my bathroom and just finished them in there.

So I am dealing with a wood oak veneer doors that had a previous stain and a clear coat of some sort. The stain that I am using is a water based stain in a Dark Coffe Bean color... I wanted it to be super dark to cover the existing color and get that almost blackish brown color.

So first I Sanded the doors down... not too much so I didnt sand off the veneer.... wiped them down, then used a tack cloth. So first coat.. the stain is not taking so well... hmmm I better do it thicker.. did not wipe off excess. waited a couple of days and they were a bit sticky but decided to stain again! (oh, I used a tack cloth to get any dust off) then came back a couple days again... hmm.. ONE MORE COAT! this one was a bit thinner

So the color is fine, they looked a little speckeled with dust or very tiney air bubbles of some sort, but I was thinking maybe the clear coat of water based poly would cover that up!

Nope, what i have on my hands now is a mess!! the cabinets are just slightly sticky, but they now have this awful crackle look to them after this light coat of poly.

I dont know if I should sand some of this off, or is that just going to gum up... cant sand tooo much or I will have no grain... cant stand the crackle look!! Oh geeze.. I have a big mess

Couple of other things to mention.... I live in ND... our nights are starting to really cool off... so can the temp. have something to do with this?

Old 09-09-08, 05:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not overly familiar with water based stains or water based poly [I usually use oil base] It sounds like you didn't get the doors stripped down to raw wood. Stain needs raw wood to work correctly.

Cool temps can slow down drying time. Has it gotten below frezzing?

I'm afraid you might have to strip the doors and start over

Can you supply a pic? use a free site like www.photobucket.com

Old 09-09-08, 05:12 AM
T
No it has not been below freezing... the lowest would maybe bin in the low fortys.

I will see what I can do about a picture... not sure if the "crackled" look will show up because the stain is so dark.

I like the color and the darkness of the stain, but its just this clear coat that I put on crackled and when you look close up it looks awful?!?!

thanks for the quick reply!!

Old 09-09-08, 05:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The cracked coating is probably cause from the stain not being dry enough. Sanding it smooth is the only fix but that might remove some of the stain also.

Old 09-09-08, 07:19 AM
T
what grit of sandpaper do I use? I dont really have to sand ALL of the stain off do I? Like I said before, I like the color...

Thanks again!!

Old 09-09-08, 09:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd use 120-150 grit. In order for the cracks to disappear you need to sand them completly off. That will probably take some of the stain with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: