Need Help Painting Laminate Desk!

Old 09-22-08, 10:26 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Need Help Painting Laminate Desk!

I just purchased a desk at a garage sale for $5 and I'm looking to paint it and do some fancy distressed look. I've looked at similar threads and it seems like there is a debate on "to sand or not to sand?"
Where do I start?
What type of primer should I use?
Is spray paint as good as regular paint?
Will a candle work to put over the base coat when distressing in certain areas?
Thanks a heap! You guys are great!

Old 09-23-08, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
What type of laminate is it?

Sanding always helps. Use a pigmented shellac primer like zinnser's BIN. it will adhere better than most any other primer and adhesion is usually a problem when painting most laminates.

I don't do much faux painting but the wax on a candle would prevent paint from bonding. Sanding off a layer of paint in selected areas will also work.

Old 09-23-08, 09:55 AM
C
What type of Laminate?

I really couldn't say. It's just a cheap laminate desk. It has a wood like pattern on it which is identical to my cheap laminate cabinets!!

Old 09-23-08, 09:58 AM
C
Question Types of Paint

Which is better? Regular paint or spray paint? What type of paint should I use after I have primmed it. What grain of sandpaper should I use? How much sanding needs to be done?

Old 09-23-08, 12:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
120-150 grit sandpaper should be fine. You just want to rough up the surface enough to promote adhession.

Use a pigmented shellac primer - brush or roller should be cheaper and less mess [overspray] and smell than spray. An oil base or waterborne enamel will wear better/longer than latex.

Old 09-23-08, 12:50 PM
C
Question My Idea

The look I eventually want to achieve is a country red underneath a cream or ivory top coat. I plan on doing the opposite with the hardware. Can Primer be colored something as dramatic as a deep country red? I also realize I may need to paint several top coats but I think it will look cool if I get it right... What do you think?

Old 09-23-08, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be difficult to color the primer red. Generally it is best to tint the primer gray when using a red top coat. Shellac can be tinted grey. It will still probably take a couple of coats of the red.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: