refinishing pine countertops

Old 09-23-08, 05:37 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
refinishing pine countertops

I have pine countertops with a heavy poly finish. I would like to refinish them with something that won't be sticky in the humidity. Any suggestions? It does need to be food safe....

Old 09-23-08, 08:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Oil base polyurathane is probably the most durable finish available to the average diyer. It shouldn't get sticky if cooking oils/grease are kept washed off of it.

Old 09-26-08, 02:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pine countertop options

what would my other options be? I have looked at natural oil based products but they would require continual upkeep...

Old 09-26-08, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think you've pretty much covered it. Poly or oil.....or new solid surface/laminate counters.

You have lower maintenance, but kinda labor intensive to apply, or.... more maintenance, but basically wipe on, let soak, wipe off every few months.

If the poly you have now is sticky, it may be able to be sanded down and re-applied. Its what gets on things/or improper application that makes them sticky, not the finish itself.

Old 09-27-08, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just thought of something else. Actually, it was right after I woke up this morning...I spend too much time on here! lol

Are you sure what you have is now poly? Could it be one of the thick epoxy finishes like you see in restaurants and bars on the tables and bar tops?

Don't know whether that would make any real difference with anything, but thought I'd bring it up. Might be an option as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: