Painting a wood kitchen table & chairs

Old 09-29-08, 12:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting a wood kitchen table & chairs

Hello,

I was given a wooden table and chairs. They are a light wood color and look to have a shinny finishing. All are in good condition. I would like to paint the table either a white or an espresso color with a non-glossy finish. If anyone could help in the following decisions that would be such a great help. I have no clue to begin.

1. What are the steps to painting a table? (sand, prime, paint?)
2. How much sanding is optimal? (enough to take off the origional shinny coat?)
3. What type of primer do I chose?
4. What type of paint do I chose? (are there ones specific for kitchen tables for health reasons as well as durability?)
5. How many coats of paint?
6. Is spraypaint an option? (I saw a spraypaint for wood & metal furniture but the name was like RustOleum...didn't know if it would be healthy to use?)

Thanks!

Old 09-29-08, 03:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
#1 - sand, remove dust, prime, sand lightly,remove dust, apply finish paint. Repeat sand, dust, paint as needed.

#2 - you mainly just need to scuff the finish to help the primer bond. It will remove some of the sheen.

#3 - A lot depends on the type of finish that is currently on the table/chairs but probably an oil base or pigmented shellac primer would be best. If you have any concerns about adhesion - use pigmented shellac [like zinneser's BIN]

#4 - an oil base enamel will dry a lot harder than latex paint. basically the harder the finish, the longer it will wear. I'd be leary of using a flat finish. Satin/eggshell enamel has a low/moderate sheen.

#5 - 1 coat primer, 2-3 coats enamel [depending on coverage]

#6 - yes, but not with aerosol cans - they don't apply enough material.

#7 - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-30-08, 06:41 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Perfect. Thank you so much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: